Monday, May 4, 2009

Days of Swine and Roses

I would like to announce that the Swine Flu has reported cases here in my city.  There is a child with it at a school on my side of town.  I'll admit, it felt a little more scary knowing that it's here. One of the schools shut down is attended by girls on our soccer team.  They are shut down for a week.  A week.  This infected child no doubt has siblings at other schools, goes to church, plays on sports teams, and on and on...I doubt if it can be contained just be closing the school and spraying some Lysol.   Meanwhile, kids are out of school for a week.  Parents are scrambling to find child care for their kids, and now they have another week of school in June.  All to avoid a runny nose and sore throat.  The front desk at my kids' school is in high dudgeon.  They sent a child home last week because she was coughing.  She is asthmatic.   

We all need to take a deep breath.  

Oh, and the soccer league told us that the girls should not give each other high fives or shake hands at the end of games so as not to spread germs.  Have they ever seen a soccer match?


No comments: