Friday, May 1, 2009

Sentimental Journey

I was just sentimental about my period.  Say what?  Yes, I just purchased a copy of "The Care and Keeping of You", a book about girls growing up.  My daughter is nine, and she knows most of what she needs to know about her own development, but this is a really great book for her to have on hand so she can read about this stuff in private.

So anyway, I'm leafing through it and there's information about teeth, armpits, acne and sunscreen.  Then there's breast development, buying a bra, and GASP! getting your period.  And then it all came rushing back.  Reading Are You There God?, It's Me, Margaret, chomping at the bit to get that first period, the wonder, horror, excitement, and revulsion all mixed together.  And I got a little sentimental.  Then I kept reading.  Pubic hair, tampons vs. pads, PMS, eating disorders, shaving, etc.  I was exhausted just reading about it, and this doesn't even go near the sex stuff!   I wasn't so sentimental anymore, but it is an awesome responsibility to guide a girl through this time in her life.  There is a lot to our care and keeping.  

I have a great daughter.  I'm excited for her, and me.  Girls will be women.

No comments: