Wednesday, May 20, 2009

No routine

I am not a person of routine.   Doing things methodically does not come naturally to me.  This drives my husband of german ancestry insane.  He does everything the same way--every time.   The only thing I do the same way every time is iron a man's dress shirt.  

I don't wear makeup, nor do I really do any skin care.  This is mostly due to sheer laziness, and the fact that I don't do routines.   My husband hates makeup of any sort, even lip balm.   I don't abstain from makeup for him, it's just a really handy rationalization for not bothering.  Well, I'll admit that once or twice per year I will wear makeup.  Those are occasions where I'm dressed formally, and no makeup looks out of place.  

So here I am at 40, and my skin has discovered gravity.  I don't know if I could get into any skin care regimen now that I've been so lazy for so many years.  I wash my face in the shower with bath soap (usually Lever) and then I put on either my fancy pants moisturizer if I can find it in my drawer of potions; or likely, just some body lotion because that's always out.  That's usually horrifies women who are three step regimen gals.  I just don't have good routines.

I had a mammogram this week, and during the health history portion of show, breastfeeding came up.  Did you breastfeed?  Yes.  How long?  Four years. (two years each kid)  I always get the same response to this:  A wide eye pop (think Alfalfa on Little Rascals) and a "Wow!" Sometime this "wow" is impressed, and sometimes it's horrified.  I don't take a lot of credit for this feat.  It was laziness!  (thank you, laziness!)  Well, at first it was sheer will, because for those of you who are initiated, you know those first few weeks of hourly feedings take everything you've got.  But luckily, I had good latchers on and it was relatively easy to nurse.  What kept me going?   No bottles.  No washing, mixing, and finding hot water on the road.  I didn't need a routine to breastfeed.  I never once forgot to bring my breasts along.

So this last school year has been a tough one for me.  I don't work outside the house, and both kids were in full day school.  Every day.  Eight to Three.  What wasn't I going to get done?  I would clean closets in the morning, and cook four course dinners in the afternoon.  Glorious cleanliness would be the watchword at our house.  The children would look back on their grade school days with memories of a lovely, tidy home, smelling of dinner and pine sol.  

(cue the screeching tires sound effect here.)

It didn't really work out like that.   Now, I am not complaining about not having a job.  But for someone with routine deficit disorder, having all of that time in front of me is just downright scary.  Plus, I miss the kids something awful.  The first few weeks were terrible.  It was lonely and quiet.  I found myself crying when people asked how great it was to have them both at school.  It got better.  I am at the school anywhere from three to five times per week, but the times vary.  Sometimes I'm there for two hours, and sometimes just for 30 minutes. No routine.   I've been getting the housework done, but I don't have pristine closets and four course dinners.  

Summer starts next week.  Kids home all day.  I'll miss having alone time, I'm sure, but not for a couple of weeks at least.  We need a Summer routine.  Maybe this is my year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the routine. I'm actually working 5 mornings/weeks next year because I tragically wasted EVERY Friday I had off this year. I decided it would probably be better to work on Fridays because then I would be forced to shower before 3:00 P.M. My plans for the summer include cleaning the closets starting next Wednesday. Of course, that is the plan every Summer!!!